Sunday, December 7, 2008

The weekend - 6th and 7th Dec 2008

Although I am not in the office of a weekend it is clear that you are never off duty. Laptops and Blackberrys mean that you are there to sort out the problems, wherever you are.
I have been quite lucky this weekend as, due to my inexperience, I have not been asked to do anything. I have been copied in on all the emails that are going backwards and forwards however which relate to this weekends operations.
James is never off the phone or email it seems but he takes it all in his stride (or that is the impression he gives). I have been lucky as both him and Tony have really looked after me during my first week and I am grateful to them for that. As one who has, in the words of that Kaiser Chiefs song, "never been this far away from home before" I was nervous about what to do and how to act whilst I was out here and they have really helped me with that.
Saturday began with a lay in of sorts. I then managed to get on the internet in the villa at long last and uploaded some photos to Facebook. After a brief dip in the pool that afternoon I went out to see James and Tony. Despite only being a 15 minute walk to their flat it was quite weird. I am getting the hang of crossing Indian roads and have actually discovered a trick to it which is as follows; remember when you were young and you played Frogger on the Atari or Commodore64? That's how you cross the roads out here!! You simply take each lane at a time, dodge in and out of the traffic and seize the brief opportunities and spaces when they present themselves! If you did not, you would be there some time believe me. The only difference is you don't have to negotiate the river with the moving logs at the end once you have crossed said road.
I got several strange looks (yes I know, you think i'd be used to it?). They are not used to westerners here it seems so they were more a curious glance as opposed to anything threatening. The only hassle I got was from tuk-tuk drivers who kept asking if i wanted "taxi". As soon as you say no, or wave them away, they also tend to leave you alone.
Once round James's (Tony lives there as well), we drank beer, ate pizza, talked and watched the football. Out here, if you have Sky, you can watch whichever game they are showing from the 3pm Saturday games back in the UK. This week was Fulham vs Man City. I didn't mind as I was just grateful to see a bit of home!
There are three main religions in India, and more specifially Hyderabad. Hinduism, Islam and Cricket....and that's probably in reverse order!! They worship Cricket out here in the way we do football at home. Strange, you would think, being English I would understand this but I have never got to grips with what a Silly-mid off is? No matter how hard I try!
A short walk and I was back at the villa around 1am. Time for bed

Sunday began with a lay in of course (what else are Sundays for?). James is still working hard and we were going to the Novotel today for Sunday buffet. Apparently, for about £18, you can each and drink as much as you like, including alcohol. You then just chill out by the pool. Because this weekend is quite busy however that idea got binned this week but there will be plenty of chances for me to experience it. I explored a bit more and found the local supermarket. It's OK and you can get the basics you need but, as it is no bigger that what you and I would understand as a mini-mart or corner shop, you are limited in your choices. You can't always get the brands you are used to either but then why come all this way and just stick to what you are used to? There is nothing approaching the size of a Tescos or Sainsburys store out here, even in the city centre. But this place does have it's merits and I want to experience as much of it as I can whilst I am here.
We may end up going out later, not sure at this stage and i am taking it as it comes. Perhaps I am coming round to the Indian way of "manana" already?
I have just had a horrible realisation....today is Sunday, and they take them very seriously out here, which means I may have to get my own dinner! bollocks!

No comments: