Monday, December 15, 2008

Monday 15th December 2008

I cannot believe it. I thought I had written everything about the weekend but I neglected to mention the funniest thing!
Let me start my reminding you how the tuk-tuk drivers love Westerners because we pay more, so they make a bee-line for you. I must also put you in the picture about two more key facts; 1) you haggle for everything here, unless you are in one of the main shops where you expect to pay the listed price, you agree a price for whatever you are intending to buy through negotiation....case in point, tuk-tuks, 2) the journey from outside the pub to my villa would cost a local about 50 rupees (75pence) for a trip of about 4 miles. The chap that showed me round Hyderabad did the haggling, and the truth is I was happy to let him as I am rubbish at it. He went straight in with a bid of 200rupees to take us both home. I was then flabbergasted when the driver replied "no, no", I paused, awaiting him to come back with a higher amount but instead he said "one-fifty rupees". Seizing our opportunity we took the lower price and jumped in. Correct me if I am wrong though, and like I say I am no good at haggling, but wasn't he supposed to try and bid us upwards?
Back in the office today, although in truth it feels like I have never been away. Advances in modern technology mean that I am able to do pretty much everything from the villa. I have a laptop, wireless internet, access to all the necessary files/software at the office via remote connection and a blackberry mobile phone. This meant I was able to cover the flying from the villa without needing to go and sit in the office, alone, which was better for me.
We had a small celebration at work today because things are starting to get busy. Even in my short time here I have seen things grow which is good. I won't deny Sunday was hard going as I am still finding my feet, but I also enjoyed it in a way. I was glad when everything was put to bed though and I could relax.
This morning I saw the paper boy for the first time delivering to next door. I say boy, he must have been about eighteen or so. The main difference to what you would expect to find about a paper boy back home was he was riding a motorbike and, of course, he was not wearing a helmet.....preferring instead to trust his wellbeing and safety on these chaotic roads to a bandana! All I can say is.....good luck with that old son!!!

No comments: