Saturday, December 6, 2008

Friday 05th Dec

One of my colleagues is back now, as is the other one, which is great news. We can relax a little because these guys know what they are doing.
The day did pass of without major incident it seemed. Colleague A was stressed but I could not gather as to why. He was working the whole day and didn't even join us for lunch. When we went downstairs at the end of the day to enjoy some beer and food laid on by the company (it was somebodies birthday - I am not sure who?), he sat there with his laptop and carried on working. Colleague A has a lot of knowledge and I am looking forward to feeding off that and expanding my own....only time will tell.
Colleague B persuaded me to go out after work with a few of my other colleagues.
Hyderabad by night is just as crazy as it is by day. This city never sleeps it seems and I found myself being taken to this English themed bar at the top of a shopping mall. Wood panels everywhere, an island bar in the middle of the pub, and cubicles for up to four people as well as bigger table for large groups. To give you some idea, the decor was very similar to what you would expect to find in a Weatherspoons back in the UK. It was very pleasant and the beer flowed by the pitcher.
Several of these pitchers (which they bring over without asking, plus they top up your glass when you are not looking) later we left around 10pm. I was ready for my bed anyway as I hadn't been sleeping well because of the time difference so that suited me. With no cabs available we were left with the choice of either a long walk, or a tuk-tuk. We had some help trying to locate a cab from a girl that seems to hang around outside who could have been no older than 8 or 10. She was smartly dressed, didn't seem ill or under-nourished in anyway, and was clearly educated because he english was excellent. As a parent now, I found it incredibly hard to imagine why people would allow there 10 year old daughter to roam the streets so late?
The tuk-tuk won over the walk by the way. These things are amazing, a 50cc engine that struggles uphill and gets switched off by the driver downhill to save fuel. They have a seating capacity of two to three in the back but I am no longer surprised when I see 6 or 7 people crammed into one. With no sides to them it is wise to hang on to the bars that hold the roof up believe me!
A quick chat with Lisa (which was nice as we hadn't spoken since Sunday), and I am ready for bed. I think my head is going to hurt in the morning......

No comments: