Thursday, December 11, 2008

9th to 11th Dec 2008

My apologies for not having written anything for a couple of days but I have a good reasons I promise!
Firstly, our wireless router at the villa blew up! I was sat next to it on Tuesday night, typing up the latest instalment, when I saw a spark out the corner of my eye that was closely followed by a crack. The lights went out in the villa and then the whole street! They came back on fairly quickly but our router was no more. We held a short service for it, said some prayers, and then buried it in the back garden before returning to the lounge for a short wake. Actually I made that last bit up (did you guess?) but the truth was our router was dead (I suspect it was an electrical surge that did it). Luckily I'd had the good sense to buy a travel adapter that already had a surge protector on it so my laptop was safe at least.
My other reason for not writing was simply that I have been busy. Work is really picking up and I am becoming more and more of a part of that. Stuff is being handed over to me now, and I am confident enough to suggest ideas and take things on my own initiative. I genuinely feel I am able to make mistakes and, as long as they are honest ones, then that is understandable. Don't get me wrong, mistakes through laziness or general incompetence are not permissible but, as a manager, I never tolerated those and would not expect them to be tolerated of me.
You will not be shocked to learn either that my lunchtime choices have not become anymore adventurous. Tuesday we went to a Coffee Republic type outfit (the name of which escapes me), and the last two days have been KFC!! I have been assured by more than one person that the office food is OK and I may yet try that, I just haven't built up the courage as yet.
Last night we did venture to a new place close to the villa that has only just opened. I had heard good reports about it and it did not disappoint. Food was good, and reasonably priced, and the beer flowed. The only thing I cannot get my head around is the way the waiters hang around you. If you so much as take a sip of beer they immediately pounce on you and refill your glass and this is the same for every place I have enjoyed a beer in. It is as if they have 360degree vision, or built in sensors that go off when someone is not accompanied by a full glass. To one who is used to having his own personal space, and values that deeply, it is difficult to comprehend. Being the first one there I cannot tell you how glad I was when my friends arrived and the waiters had someone else to fuss over!
I do have some good news to post as well. The company has very kindly changed my ticket to come home for Christmas two days earlier than planned, and I am now coming back on the 20th. I didn't ask for this but I was asked if I didn't mind working on Sunday. Having been a shift worker for such a long time I find that Sundays, nights and public holidays do not mean as much to me now as they did once so I don't mind that at all. Besides, I am out here alone and don't have a family out here to come home to so why not?
Roads again and another shining example of Indian logic to mention. You may remember me mentioning that they have a 200rupee fine for jumping red lights? Well I saw a sign on the way to work Wednesday that read "no parking here, fine 500 rupees". This was just by the side of the road, not near anything important like a fire station or a hospital, and they do not even know what a red route is here. In effect what they are saying is parking is 2.5 times more serious than jumping red lights? Discuss.....

1 comment:

dNo said...

My dear friend, you are new to this blogging malarkey, so do not fret. There is no need to apologise for missing one day. The art of blogging is to rant, to describe, to plead and to reach out to those a thousand miles away. Not knowing the exact time of your shave yesterday does not leave us curiously unsatisfied. Your absence does that! Keep up the good work, and keep making mistakes. That is exactly how i taught you :)