Saturday, December 6, 2008

Second day at the office - 02 Dec 2008

Late again today, although not my fault either it's just that I am understandably keen to make a good impression. My car did not arrive until 08:45 local and then had to make several stops on route to collect some of my colleagues. On top of that, if you leave it too late and are still on the roads in Hyderabad past 09:00am you end up in very bad traffic. The good thing is that so many of us turning up late at exactly the same time, the reason is fairly obvious.
After a quiet morning (with no flying), we decided to go to lunch. Today was KFC, yesterday Subway. Having been warned not to to try the food that is supplied daily to the office you can understand my reluctance to be too adventurous with my lunchtime choices. I am sure I will become less wary in time, and no doubt end up regretting it.
You can't even drink from the water coolers in the office as it apparently cannot be guaranteed that the water in it is actually mineral water instead of tap water. I am told that, when these coolers first arrived everyone drank from them assuming them to be sufficiently filtered for western stomachs. No one got sick, apart from the expats who now give these coolers a very wide berth!
I Finally got my company phone and log in today. The email signature, which they loaded, has my job title as being "Sr. Manager - Operations". A grand title indeed for the most junior member of the operations team. Still, it could be argued that it shows the company is ambitious and has every intention of fulfilling the sales pitch that brought me here....besides which, it really sounds like I am somebody doesn't it? Even though I am not!
Word is I will be moved to one of the company houses soon. I am looking forward to it as I will be nearer the centre of Hyderabad and closer to my colleagues. It is quite lonely being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with little to do and nowhere to go :-(

No comments: