Sunday, December 21, 2008

Weds 17th and Thurs 18th Dec 2008

Wednesday was just another day at the office really so I won't dwell on that. Instead I shall move straight onto the Christmas party which was nice enough. It was held in an Irish themed bar called Dublin, which is located in the bowels of the Sheraton hotel. I used the word "themed" very liberally of course because the only thing that set it apart from any bar in any town was the odd Guinness poster on the wall (the old ones that used to proclaim Guinness was good for you etc etc), and the fact that it was called Dublin. There was not so much as a Shamrock in sight! judges verdict, 4 out of 10 - see me after class.
Venue aside, we all had a good time it seemed. I did receive some bad news that night from home which really knocked me for six, and probably caused me to drink more than perhaps I otherwise would have done. Several beers, some karaoke and some shameful dancing later, we made our way home.
Because there were no company vehicles available, and the hotel reception gave us a very convenient estimate of two hours to arrange a minicab, we were forced to use the hotel transport at a cost of 1635INR (or about 25GBP). That may not sound like a lot for a ten mile journey in the UK, but for the sort of money you usually pay out here I was expecting the guy to not only take us home but come in the house, do the washing and ironing, run the hoover round and, on his way out, block pave the driveway! When he neglected to all but drive us home I was most put out I can tell you!
Less than an hours nap later and I was up again. Our new CJ2 Fleet Manager arrives in the early hours of Thursday morning and I have agreed to go and meet him at the airport, not that I mind of course. He and I have worked together before and we know we can achieve out here. Plus, it's another friendly face so far from home.
About 5am he comes through the arrivals and we get in the car. He's tired, i'm tired, so a quick catch up and a run down of the do's and don'ts of India and it's tme for bed. I drop him at the hotel and proceed on back to villa. Why do I get the feeling that my liver may end up regretting him coming out here?!?!?!
Having slept for a few hours I was lucky enough to be able to remain at the villa for the rest of the day. I was waiting for the engineers to come and fix our internet as we had been unable to get online for two days. Just like engineers back home - they came, they fiddled, they achieved the square root of bugger all and then, after promising faithfully the problem would be sorted by the end of the day, they disappeared and were never seen again. You got to love this country really haven't you!!!!

No comments: