Saturday, December 6, 2008

First day of action - 03rd Dec 2008

It seems they had plans to move me into the company house earlier than I had anticipated. Upon reporting at the office I was dispatched back to my hotel to collect my things and move them into the villa.
At first glance it seems surreal. Situated in a large, privately guarded compound it sits neatly in a row amongst the other, identical four bedroomed villas. I cannot tell you much more than that as have only seen it twice....once to drop off my bags and once when I came home in the dark after work.
Everything is done for you it seems though. Your food is cooked, beds made, and apparently they'll even go and do you shopping if you ask. Not that much different to a hotel except it's nicer and more personal.
When I arrived back at the office it was quite busy because we had picked up the charter I had seen since joining Bjets. I should explain at this point that one of my colleagues, the only one who was up to speed with what was going on, had called in sick. Another colleague (who you would not believe had no operations experience if you met her), was coping....just. I had no experience of Bjets, or how things work in India, so I was probably as much use to her as a chocolate teapot. Bless her though, she didn't shout at me once.
Crucially, we muddled through. Colleague A helped from home via his laptop and it worked (or so it seemed) in the end.
Bjets is growing, you only have to look at the orders for new aircraft to see that, so I am sure that everything will work out, and all the wrinkles that today has highlighted for me will get ironed out, in the end.
I saw an entire herd of cattle walking not only down the road (a 3 lane highway), but on the outside lane and towards the traffic....in rush hour! I wasn't going to mention the roads today but everytime I think it cannot get more bizarre, it does!

No comments: