Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Eve 2008

So it's hear, New Years Eve 2008. If you had asked me where I thought I would be seeing in 2009 as little as 2 months ago, I doubt my first answer would have bee India I must admit.
Having eaten at the office again (and it was spicier than yesterday I can tell you), we decided to sneak off a little early and get the party started. We were not alone I can tell you and were probably one of the last to leave. Driving home in the daylight was a new experience though I can tell you and as we arrived back at the villa I looked up at the most perfect sunset straight ahead of me. The notion of this being the last sunset of 2008 was not lost on me as the fiery orange sphere slowly sank behing the buildings at the end of the road.
There were only three of us at the villa, but we were going to make a night of it. We had beer of course, but we had also (through a multitude of shopping trips) managed to source some beef, prawns, ribs, sweetcorn and various snacks. So what if it was only 3 of us eh? Getting beef out here is a challenge. If you know of anyone that has some sort of chicken fetish then by them a ticket to Hyderabad for next Christmas as they will love it out here! The strange thing is, you see these cattle walking down the road almost every day and yet nobody eats beef? This country has some strange ideas I can tell you!
We lit the barbecue about 6:30 and got a good roaring heat going. We didn't want to eat too early for fear of getting tired with full stomachs so we held off for a bit. The only thing we missed was some music and we elected to drink more beer to numb that particular pain.
One of our colleagues from the office pitched up about 8:30 armed with his guitar and this guy can play I can tell you! I had heard how good he was from other people I work with but you have to hear if for yourself to really believe it. So we sang, and we drank.....eventually we ate, and the four of us saw in the new year.
Don't get me wrong, seeing the new year in with my family would have always been my first choice, but this was the next most perfect way to say goodbye 2008 and hello 2009. Last year was rough, for so many of us, so here's to the next 12 months eh? May it bring peace, prosperity and good health to you all.

No comments: