Thursday, January 1, 2009

28th Dec 2008 - 01st Jan 2009

Well here I am, back in India once again. The journey back was OK I guess. Long haul flying is not my idea of fun and I don't know how people do it on a regular basis I must admit?
I got up early on Saturday to allow plenty of time to get to the airport. As it was 4am when I left home there was little or no traffic on the road and I made it in plenty of time. Enough time even to allow myself breakfast in O'neills bar at T3. Yes, I had a pint of beer too (well, it was rude not to), and didn't have a problem with drinking at 6am on a Saturday morning either!
Upon boarding we were informed by the Captain that someone, some selfish individual, had decided not to travel and they were having to be offloaded. Of course, with current security regulations, their baggage has to be removed and that takes time on a plane with 300 people and at least 300 bags! You have to wonder about these people though don't you though? I mean, who gets all the way to the airport, checks in, and as they are about to board the plane, suddenly decides not to travel. Do they get all that way and then suddenly realise that, it is standard procedure for the plane to actually leave the ground during the flight? People like that should not be allowed out on their own, or near anything sharp for fear they may harm themselves. Idiots.
Rant over. I made it to Hyderabad about 3:30 am Sunday morning and I crept into the villa. I didn't make a sound as I locked the door and crept upstairs. Quietly opening the door I put my bag down on the bed without turning the light on....and all of a sudden a voice said "hello". Evidently they had let out my room while I was away but hadn't though to tell me.....what a way to meet our new pilot!! He was cool about it though and we shared a joked or two about it the next day.
It takes a week at least to adjust to the time difference again. So though Sunday I slept very littles. I even found myself awake at 4am Monday morning and went and sat on the balcony for a bit. Through my bleary, sleep deprived eyes I saw a dog hobbling past outside. It was clearly a wild dog and I guess it was looking for food, but one of it's back legs was damaged in some way and he could not walk on it. I did feel sorry for it, and for a brief second thought of putting out some food, but that would have only made it come back night after night, and it was a wild dog after all so you have to be so careful.
Tuesday comes and finally now I have the courage to eat at the office. The food is very spicy I have to admit and clearly geared towards the locals. The meat is cooked with the bones in it and you find yourself sticking your fingers in your mouth after each bite to removed the bone that you have just bitten down on! That said, it is fairly good food though so I may brave it again tomorrow??

No comments: