Monday, February 2, 2009

28th Jan 2009 - 02nd Feb 2009

You got to love this country….in a way at least. India has it’s own take on Western culture, and it doesn’t make a particularly good fist of it either. It is almost like they have taken the main ingredients of what has to be the two biggest global influences (namely Britain and America), put them in to a pot, and come up with their own version, it’s almost like they have curried western culture.
Let me explain, spelling out here is quite comical. Some shops will claim to be a “centre” for whatever it is they are selling (be it sporting goods, luggage or clothes etc”, others will claim to be a “center” for their particular wares……and others, not wanting to sound quite so elaborate, describe themselves as a “shopee”……. and that is exactly? Did the signwriter got a bit excited when he was making that? Was he on a rollercoaster ride that went for the big dip just as he finished the “shop” part of the sign?.........or maybe it’s just plain illiteracy? (which is my money). Most of the people out here eke out a simple existence, and probably never had time or money for a proper education. They get by, they exist, and they have more fortitude and are probably happier with their lot than most of us in the more affluent West. You have to admire really don’t you?
Can’t remember if I have blogged this before or not? Apologies if I have, but I still have not received, nor discovered, a satisfactory reason as to why this even exists so here I go again……………
Let me explain, on the way home from the office to the villa every day we pass this clinic (not THAT sort of clinic so drag your minds out of the gutter please……and stop smirking). Outside said clinic is a 30 foot, illuminated archway advertising their 24 hour walk-in CT scan facility. You can, if you want to, walk in (any time, day or night) and pay your money and to get yourself x-rayed.
Have you ever had this happen to you? You are walking home after a night out, you know you have had a good night because you sway, nay stagger, down the road……the obligatory kebab has been consumed….now what? Yes, you feel the overwhelming urge for a CT scan but where can you get one at 3am. Worry no longer my brethren as you can get one in Hyderabad!!! Another solution to mankind’s simplest dilemmas brought to you by the people of India.
Lastly, I have a question for you. This is not India related I hasten to add, but it is something I have noticed whilst I have been in here so I guess it qualifies for the blog……..just!
Those of you who use I-Tunes will know that it automatically groups your music for you. It will decide, unilaterally, if what you have uploaded is pop music, rock, country and so on. As the user you have absolutely no input on this.
This is quite a handy feature however, as I am sure you will agree. It means you can tell your I-Pod to play a certain type of music, say for parties or when you have guests, and keep the embarrassing stuff back for yourself to listen to when no one is around via the private inner sanctum provided by your headphones.
One of the genres my I-pod grouped my music into was it termed “Easy Listening”. Alright, I’ll admit I own more than one Michael Buble album (I would like to apologise to my family as I should really have come out to them first), and it was this that had been deemed as “Easy Listening”.
I can picture it now, because it is Easy Listening I will clearly have no trouble hearing it? I will not have to turn the volume up if I can’t hear it because, as it is easy to listen to, it will simply not allow me to move a muscle to adjust the volume….it will do it for me, right?
Or does it mean that, the very microsecond that the first sound wave begins to resonate around my inner ear, I will be struck by an involuntary stress relinquishing paralysis and all my muscles will simply relax?
The more likely explanation is that it is just simply a term made up by the kind of people who frequent Jazz Clubs to make music they liked sound “groovy”. I mean, is there such a thing as “Hard Listening” music? Are there times in which you have to reach inside your cochlea, rip out the ear drum and place it up against the speaker to listen to a Def Leppard LP?
These people are talking rubbish!......................... Go and complain to your MP!
Rant over.

1 comment:

dNo said...

MICHAEL BA DOOBY DOOBY BUBLE??????
Get out of my life, you are disowned. i will instruct the cat never to call you again.
I thought Bon Jovi was bad enough, but this really is quite beyond the pale.
And have you not yet made the connection with the one eyed fearless kamikaze rickshaw drivers and the 24 hour walk in CAT scanner... Seems pretty sensible to me.