Sunday, November 30, 2008

My first day in India - 30th November 2008

Ok, so I am in a strange country, farther away than I have ever been before and I am still suffering mixed emotions.
The strongest of these is of course sadness. I miss my family loads and I expect that will only get worse as time goes on. What motivates me is a desire to succeed and make the best of it. It is an adveture after all, and one that I am grateful for, and if nothing else the money will come in very handy after two months of nothing.
I woke up at around 1pm local time. Well, I got woken up at around 1pm by the cleaner knocking on the door. I tried to ignore it, and when he couldn't get in he rang the door bell (yes they have them on the rooms here!!), until I woke up.....git. I politely declined the offer to clean my room as I had every intention of trying to get some more sleep. I should have known better really as when I wake up that is generally it, I am awake. Thirty minutes later I gave up trying and decided it was time to explore my surroundings.
The hotel itself is OK. There is the usual bar and restaurant, plus a spa that I doubt I will ever use and that's about it. What else can I say? Ella Suites is functionald and it serves a purpose.
The actual walk itself took about two minutes. There is nothing to see as I am srrounded by high rise apartments on one side, and trees on another. I have been advised not to go wandering on my own for fear of getting lost. Sage advice indeed that I have taken on board I can assure you. There are security guards everywhere, and some soldiers too, which is understandable given the recent terror attacks in Mumbai but they serve to give a sense of security and worry at the same time!
I decided to settle down in the seating area for the "Kebab Pavillion" in the hotel grounds. Having also been warned to be wary of what I eat and drink I was understandably nervous about trying a kebab. To someone who is a connoisseur of all things junk food, and who willing eats kebabs at home whilst sober, this was a hard thing to avoid but I remained resolute. Whilst sat there I glanced across at a man in a monkey suit, with a Fez on his head. Had I been drinking? No, was i tripping? certainly not!! So this was real then?!?! Luckily, he took no interest in me and disappeared through some glass doors that lead to what I later discovered to be the restaurant. I had had a lucky escape.

1 comment:

dNo said...

Speaking as someone who has moved around a little... the home sickness comes in waves. The stupidest things will trigger it. But stick with it, the opportunity you have there is fairly unique, and once you have done your time you will have, at the very least, a few stories to tell.